Monday, November 14, 2022

The Restored Ecclesia & Organic Church

 The restored ecclesia (church) sounds just like the organic church (note that organic churches are not only home-churches) that Frank Viola talks about. It is interesting to me that when Joseph Smith was alive he never built chapels or any church structures we know today. In the original "church" (ecclesia) that Joseph Smith was part of, there was a strong organic element with Smith's role as prophetic seer and revelator (like unto Paul) was different from his office as church president; and there was an emphasis on a more organic manifesation of the gifts of the Spirit. This is echoed in the Book of Mormon:


Moroni 6:3-6,9 (words in bold my own for emphasis):


 3 And none were received unto baptism save they took upon them the name of Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end.  

4 And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith. 

5 And the church did meet together oft, to fast and to pray, and to speak one with another concerning the welfare of their souls.  

6 And they did meet together oft to partake of bread and wine, in remembrance of the Lord Jesus.


9 And their meetings were conducted by the church after the manner of the workings of the Spirit, and by the power of the Holy Ghost; for as the power of the Holy Ghost led them whether to preach, or to exhort, or to pray, or to supplicate, or to sing, even so it was done.


Moroni 10:8-17 (words in bold my own for emphasis):


 8 And again, I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the gifts of God, for they are many; and they come from the same God. And there are different ways that these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the Spirit of God unto men, to profit them.  

9 For behold, to one is given by the Spirit of God, that he may teach the word of wisdom;  

10 And to another, that he may teach the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;  

11 And to another, exceedingly great faith; and to another, the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;  

12 And again, to another, that he may work mighty miracles;  

13 And again, to another, that he may prophesy concerning all things;  14 And again, to another, the beholding of angels and ministering spirits;  15 And again, to another, all kinds of tongues;  16 And again, to another, the interpretation of languages and of divers kinds of tongues. 

17 And all these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come unto every man severally, according as he will.


Alma 33 (words in bold my own):


2 And Alma said unto them: Behold, ye have said that ye could not worship your God because ye are cast out of your synagogues [or "concrete-churches" as in buildings of worship. Compare 2 Nephi 26:26, " Behold, hath he [Christ] commanded any that they should depart out of the synagogues, or out of the houses of worship? Behold, I say unto you, Nay."]. But behold, I say unto you, if ye suppose that ye cannot worship God, ye do greatly err, and ye ought to search the scriptures; if ye suppose that they have taught you this, ye do not understand them.

3 Do ye remember to have read what Zenos, the prophet of old, has said concerning prayer or worship?

4 For he said: Thou art merciful, O God, for thou hast heard my prayer, even when I was in the wilderness; yea, thou wast merciful when I prayed concerning those who were mine enemies, and thou didst turn them to me.

5 Yea, O God, and thou wast merciful unto me when I did cry unto thee in my field; when I did cry unto thee in my prayer, and thou didst hear me.

6 And again, O God, when I did turn to my house thou didst hear me in my prayer.

7 And when I did turn unto my closet, O Lord, and prayed unto thee, thou didst hear me.

8 Yea, thou art merciful unto thy children when they cry unto thee, to be heard of thee and not of men, and thou wilt hear them.

9 Yea, O God, thou hast been merciful unto me, and heard my cries in the midst of thy congregations. 10 Yea, and thou hast also heard me when I have been cast out and have been despised by mine enemies; yea, thou didst hear my cries, and wast angry with mine enemies, and thou didst visit them in thine anger with speedy destruction.

11 And thou didst hear me because of mine afflictions and my sincerity; and it is because of thy Son that thou hast been thus merciful unto me, therefore I will cry unto thee in all mine afflictions, for in thee is my joy; for thou hast turned thy judgments away from me, because of thy Son.

12 And now Alma said unto them: Do ye believe those scriptures which have been written by them of old?

13 Behold, if ye do, ye must believe what Zenos said ...

... 23 And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will. Amen.